I have an obsession with stars or just night lights in general. In fact, my phone’s current lock screen is galaxy-themed and the homepage is a view of city lights at night.
When I was a small kid, I asked my uncle for a telescope. Sebenarnya itu telescope cikai je but I thought it was a REAL telescope that you could actually observe stars from. Needless to say, I was very, very, very disappointed.
Whenever I imagine myself escaping somewhere far away, I rarely imagine sunny beaches. I usually imagine…
- Stargazing in the middle of the quiet African savannah and pointing out constellations (influenced by The Lion King haha)
- Staring the billions of lovely Paris lights below from the top of the Eiffel Tower
- Enjoying an (environment-friendly) lantern festival in China
- Strolling through Masjid an-Nabawi’s courtyard after Isyak prayer, with the giant umbrellas and tall minarets all lit up. It’s Madinah al-Munawwarah (the City of Lights) after all!
- Watching an amazing firework display going on behind the Cinderella castle after a terrific night show at Disneyland
- Going to an airport observation deck and watching planes fly into the night sky, disappearing into the middle of nowhere
- Enjoying a candlelit dinner on a gondola cruise in Venice after dusk while being serenaded
- Travelling through time and space in the TARDIS with the Doctor
- Painting my own version of Starry Night with Vincent Van Gogh
- Attending an enchanting night garden party decorated with soft fairy lights
- Sitting on a the rooftop of a tall skyscraper in New York City and staring at the billions of lights below
- Flying to outer space in a rocket ship, staring in awe at the beautiful solar system and watching the earth spin round
- Swinging from the tall skyscrapers of lit-up New York City as Spider-Woman
- Seeing the world — shining, shimmering, splendid… over, sideways, and under on a magic carpet ride with Aladdin and Jasmine (but that would be third-wheeling)
- Taking the midnight train going anywhere~~~ and just watching the dimly-lit views whizz past
Even going for a drive through a normal highway at night calms me down and helps me relax. Putrajaya is my go-to location for a night drive, actually (even if not very often)… with its modern and fascinating illuminated structures. I hope to go to Bukit Ampang sometime soon as well – apparently you can enjoy a stunning view of the KL city skyline.
I recently huddled around a beach campfire with my fellow Invictus Camp facilitators with actual marshmallows and guitar tunes, while the stars twinkled above us. It was wonderful.
What helps you calm down? Feel free to comment below 😀